Monday, March 11, 2013

Paris Fashion Week pt1!

Paris Fashion week is hands down my favorite. I always like so many collections and this year was no different. 

1.Dries Van Noten
I was blown away by his spring collection. I was not as in love with this one but I did love some of the looks. There was a 30s element to these clothes with still a lingering of grunge that seemed to have been elevated here. The clothes were relaxed and more loose but still had glamour and great movement. The use of feathers was an added bonus and really amped up the glam factor but the styling kept it relaxed. 
                   

                                                                                                         


2.Lanvin
This collection was really all over the place style wise but Alber Elbaz intended it to be like that. He was aiming to design for many types of women and he definitely achieved that. There were different makeup looks and many different silhouettes and styles going on. I did not like all of the collection but some of the stuff I just loved. There was an overall teenage school girl theme here. Especially with the accessories. I loved the flat oxfords he showed and the plate necklaces with words like "love" written out it definitely accomplished the teenager vibe. This collection overall was a success in my opinion because there was such a wide range almost everyone would be happy with something from this collection. 



3. Chalayan
This is a collection you see to see to believe. Pictures don't do it justice so please watch the video if you haven't already seen it on tumblr already. The way the models violently ripped those tabs to reveal their new dresses was so fierce and strong, it showed woman empowerment in such a new way. This was probably one of the biggest surprises I've seen on the runway yet.







4.Isabel Marant
I love the french cool and easy vibe of this collection. There weren't really any wow moments but these basic with a little twist were extremely wearable. Everyone wants to exude effortless chic and Isabel definitely brought that. I live in leggings in the winter so that appealed to me. The boots were a nice twist on her famous sneakers and an added bonus. 


5.Mulger
This was a futuristic take on the 50s and 60s. With the rounded versions of classic silhouettes this collection seemed very new and old at the same time. The pale fabrics, roundness, and hoods helped create this futuristic view. It felt like a surprisingly sophisticated and classic show compared to his looks from past seasons( lady gaga anyone?) but you could still see his inventiveness and edge here. 





6. Balmain
Critics panned this collection saying it may have gone "too 80s", I of course loved it. Sure it was a very strong, 80s look but in a way only balmain could do and I think it brought something new. I think the collection would have benefited from losing those pants/boots because I felt they were heavy and distracting but hey other then that I can't complain. I loved the bubble skirts with the strong shoulders and the Harlequin type patterns. I also thought the hair and makeup were perfect. It was strong but didn't distract and made her look like a sexy 80s power woman. 




7.Rochas
This collection reminded me of the new look(which is one of my favorite "looks" in history). The girls looked like 50s school girls with elegance and a wild side. The colors were very nice as well, I loved the light but not baby colors like the pink/peach, the blues and the lavenders. These colors were light but seemed to have a dark side . 





8.Nina Ricci
This collection was inspired by ballerinas. You could definitely see this in the soft layers and somewhat slinky clothes. These looks mostly hugged the body but some also tended to be slightly falling off. This collection expanded Nina Ricci by giving more types of pieces not yet seen before but still managed to make the collection feel very similar to past collections. Mr. Copping managed to expand but still do what he does best which made this collection beautifully familiar and new at the same time.




9.Dior
Raf Simons can do no wrong. Ever since his last collection at Jill Sander I have been in awe of his work and this collection was no different. I love the way he plays with classic Dior. He manages to keep the lady like sensibility and the classic silhouettes but manages to bring a younger, modern and edgier look to the clothes. This season he used early drawings by Andy Warhol to adorn the clothes and accessories. This worked particularly well on the bags, which were drawings of shoes. This helped give these clothes edge while also keeping it classic. The black jumpsuit with the point toe shoes was a particulate favorite. The makeup and hair was also a standout. The silver eyeliner that was placed on the lids in such a new shape was beautiful and futuristic and that bright edged out pink lipstick was just fabulous. The accessories were a delight. I loved the Warhol drawings on the bags( the light blue was my particular favorite) on the classic bag shapes were great and the shoes with the asymmetrical detail were a nice evolution of the shoes from last season. The multi stacked rings were a beautiful and on trend addition as well and I am DYING for those sunglasses.  This collection explored the relationship between Dior and Simons and my what a beautiful relationship it is turning out to be. I cannot wait to see where Raf takes Dior next season. 









10.Rick Owens
Rick Owens woman always seems to live on a tribe in a different world but somehow he always manages to create such attainable and beautiful pieces. "Battle-scarred heroism" was the theme for his show this season and that as really dead on in the clothes. The girl looked like she had just emerged from battle with her frizzed hair flowing in the wind behind here. The particular stand out to me was the Japanese like knotting details and kimonos. They were so beautiful and simple I could see them really transferring into everyday wear. Rick Owens seems to be evolving every season but still keep his other worldly vibe that only he posses. Every season I'm excited to see what hes going to pull out. While this collection seemed the most human it was still very out there in a sense but was very wearable. I'm excited to see where he takes this. 









































No comments:

Post a Comment